CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ten on Tuesday - School Blurbs

Ten Reasons why I hate seriously dislike the First Day of School...
Yep, today was my first day of school.  And yep, I'm a little grouchy tonight.  So yep, you get to listen to me complain. :)

1.  It marks the real end of summer.  I've been back at training for the past week, but it still wasn't school time.  When I pulled into the parking lot this morning and realized it was over flowing with cars dropping off kiddos, all I could do was sigh.  Adios, summer.  I'll be waiting anxiously for your return!

2.  My throat is dry and itchy.  Sheesh, I haven't talked this much in 2 1/2 months.  Talking all day really did a number on me!

3.  My feet feel like they are going to explode!  I live in flip flops over the summer.  OK, if I'm being honest, I live barefoot. :)  I tied my tennis shoes as loosely as possible today, but it still felt like they were being squeezed by a boa constrictor.  Add to that standing ALL day long and you've got yourself a recipe for swollen ankles!!

4.  I'm teaching Kindergarten.  Yes, I know I teach first grade.  But these kiddos come in as Kindergardeners.  And let me tell you, there is a reason I don't teach Kinder!

5.  I repeat myself 1,436 times.  And I'm sure I'll do it just as much tomorrow.  When kids come back from a break, they have the memory of an elephant. (Don't they have bad memories?!?)  I can tell them not to lean on the wall at 10:32 on the way to lunch.  By the time we reach the cafeteria doors at 10:35, they're all over the wall again.  Ugh.

6.  I have to eat lunch in the cafeteria.  Dang! As a teacher, lunch time is pretty much the only adult interaction time you get.  That's it....25 minutes.  I don't wanna eat lunch with these boogers, I've been hanging out with them all morning!

7.  Nobody knows how they get home.  Dismissal time is a hectic time.  Everyone is trying to figure out where all the kids belong.  Why not do it ahead of time, you say? Oh, we do.  But something is always wrong or changed or just forgotten.  I had one kid go home on the wrong bus today.  I can't wait for the middle of the year when they all actually know how to get home! (Yes, it takes that long)

8.  I feel like a chicken with my head cut off.  You can plan all you want for the first day, but it never happens that way.  Things take twice as long as you expect or end up being done in a flash.  New students wander in at random times and you have to stop and get them settled.  Nothing is where I "left it."  I pretty much just walk around and look for things all day. :)

9.  I have to hold it.  Another one that all you teachers know about....  In the summer you get used to being able to use the restroom whenever you feel the urge.  Nope, not anymore!  You have to wait until the end of the lesson, activity, or sometimes end of the day.  All you non-teacher friends would be impressed with the length of time we can hold our bladders!! haha

10.  Kids are crazy mofos.  Summer must be some kind of drug or super sweet candy.  Because kids come back hyper as can be and ready to bounce off the walls.  There were many moments today when I had to take deep breaths and count to 10.  ha!  Gotta get these honeys trained so I can have some peace!!

Alright, vent session over.  My 5th First Day of School is under my belt and now I'm ready to show up smiling and motivated tomorrow! Sweet dreams, blog land!! :)

1 comments:

kinsey said...

i could have written this word for word ;-) it was my 10th first day!! crazy crazy...

Post a Comment